William D. Given was born in Bath County, Virginia, Jan. 11, 1818, a son of Henry Given. In 1839 he came with his brother Musto B. Given, and Jesse Slaven (the latter now of Missouri), to McHenry County, Illinois, and located on section 35, Greenwood Township, where he has since resided. He was one of the first settlers of the county, and was obliged to endure many hardships incident to a new country. He has been prosperous and is now enjoting the fruits of his labors, having a fine farm of 191 acres. He during his long residence in McHenry County has made many friends. He has held the office of School Director and Trustee and of Road Commissioner. For many years he has been a worthy and influential member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married in Highland County, Virginia, May 1, 1838, to Rachel B. Slaven. After a married life of 30 years they were separated, death claiming Mrs. Given in 1858 (sic). She left a family of seven children-- Margaret Jane, wife of Amos Stevenson, or Heartland Township; Charles Alexander, married Susie Rider, of Greenwood Township; Anna E., married Henry Barlow, of Greenwood Township; Musto J., married Rowena Hakes, and resides in Woodstock; William B. is unmarried and makes his father's house his home; Kittie, married E.T. McCoy, and lives in Virginia; Stewart, married Carrie Schaaf. In 1969 Mr. Given married Martha G. Lynch of New York State.
History of McHenry County, Illinois
Interstate Publishing Co., Chicago, Illinois 1885.