logo1

Judge Louis C. Slavens, DePauw, '58.

Note: This is Judge Luther Slavens, not Louis.

Judge L. C. Slavens, 77 years old, one of the pioneers of Kansas City and a founder of Lambda chapter, who began the practice of law in Kansas City in 1866, died of heart disease as he sat in a chair in the lobby of the Ashland hotel, Kansas City, October 23. He had been conversing with a friend. Suddenly he placed his hand over his heart, and remarked: "I feel mighty queer." Then he gasped and slipped from his chair, expiring within a few minutes.

For the last three years, Judge Slavens had been making his home with his daughter, Mrs. John Slavens, near Waldron, Mo. He made frequent visits to Kansas City to attend court sessions and to meet old friends. He owned considerable property in Jackson and Platte counties.

A graduate of DePauw University, Judge Slavens went to Kansas City soon after the Civil war. He was a Republican in politics, and was one of the 306 delegates who remained staunch for a third term for General Grant as president in the convention of 1880. He was a former state representative and city counselor.

Judge Slavens was a brother of the late J. W. L. Slavens, (DePauw, '58) who served as mayor both of Westport and Kansas City.

Judge Slavens was reared on a farm. He was married in 1861, one year after graduation from the law school of DePauw University. While he was city counselor, Kansas City obtained ownership of its waterworks. The relations between the city and the waterworks company had been complicated and it was due largely to his work that the city acquired ownership of the plant. though the result was accomplished only after several years of litigation.

When the city acquired the waterworks, both Judge Slavens and John C. Gage, who was one of the leading counsels in the waterworks litigation, consented to serve for a time as members of the board of public works, upon which fell responsibility for management of the water plant.

The Phi Gamma Delta, Vol. XXXVI No. 3,
published at Menasha, Wis. by George Bants, November 1913.