On Tuesday last Hugh Dixon, Esq. Coroner of Westmeath, proceeded to hold an inquest upon the bodies of the unfortunate per sons who were killed by the police at the Fair of Castlepollard on Monday, the 23d instant. Seven of those unfortunate individuals were killed on the spot, and two others have died since the fair. There are two whose cases are hopeless-- they linger in the most excruciating agonies, and a few days at most must put an end to their sufferings. Besides those dead and past recovery, there are seven more in the hospital badly wounded, and two or three more slightly wounded, who remain at their own houses.

On my arriving at Castlepollard, which has been made the bloody theatre of this melancholy and tragic event, it was easy to observe the deep sorrow and painful anxiety that were manifested upon the countenances of the people. I must acknowledge that it was with a tearful eye I beheld the different places where the victims fell deeply dyed with human blood, and saw the walls and windows of the surrounding houses shattered with the balls fired from the muskets of the police. I took the trouble of minutely examining the marks of the balls on the different houses, and found that there were fifty-two different places where the balls had struck.

It is worthy of remark that the tracks of the balls were all in the lower part of the houses, and were calculated to strike persons in a stooping position.

The following is a list of the persons killed, and of those wounded, who are now in hospital under the care of that experienced and humane medical gentleman, Doctor Kenny, of Castlepollard, whose kind and benevolent conduct, on this very trying occasion, does honor to his name and profession...

...5. John Slevin, aged 68 years; native of Castlepollard; wounded under the left clavicle, penetrated the chest, and passed out at the other side...

Matthew Crosbie, of Castlepollard, dyer, examined: Swears that on the fair day, about six o'clock, he was standing opposite his own door; saw Slevin fall opposite witness's gateway, at the edge of the road adjoining witness's house; did not see the person that fired at Slevin; after he fell, a ball entered witness's parlour window, where himself and family usually sit; the marks of five other balls are on the exterior of his house-- all fired by the police; saw a policeman present his piece and shoot a man, who fell at the door of a tent; saw the man dead after receiving a ball in his eye; saw Slevin after his death; thinks he received the ball about the face; saw no rioting, or stones thrown at the police at the time Slevin was shot saw stones thrown at the police before that; thinks there were very few thrown, and will swear, to the best of his opinion, that none of them struck the police; the stones were thrown some minutes before the shots were fired; the people were dispersing in great numbers before the shots were fired, and the streets were then thin; does not think any of the stones thrown could reach the police; the police were thirty yards from the people who threw the stones; saw no person fall but Slevin and the man at the door of the tent.

James Malone examined: Is a nailer; lives in Castlepollard; was on the street the fair evening, about six o'clock; saw Serjeant Mairs, of the police, level his piece and fire at Slevin, who fell nearly opposite Mr. Crosbie's; the deceased lived a few moments after he fell; there was no riot when the police came into the street; saw no stones thrown at the police; there were two parties fighting at the time; saw no attack made the police; there was a riot in the street about half an hour before Slevin was shot, but none at the time of his death; witness was about midway between Slevin and the police (the time Slevin was shot), but not in a direct line; there were two other policemen with Mairs at the time he fired the shot; witness thinks the other two policemen did not fire at the same time with Mairs; does not know for what purpose the police, with their chief, walked after the rioters; heard no caution given to the people to disperse, but what Mairs had given to a showman, ordering him to close up his booth, nearly half an hour before the firing commenced; persons were about Slevin on all sides, passing and repassing, when he was shot; cannot say that aim was taken at Slevin in particular.

The Morning Chronicle London, England) Thursday, June 2, 1831.