Fire this morning completely destroyed the residence of Mrs. Liddie Slavens in Caldwell park. The house is outside the fire limits and the firemen were helpless to save the house from the flames.

Mrs. Slavens is an invalid and has been confined to her home for over three years. The exposure and fright was quite a shock to her. The ambulance was called and she was taken to the of N.L. Arrison, on West Second street. The house and furniture were completely destroyed by the flames.

Ottumwa (Iowa) Evening Democrat, March 9, 1904.