Man Overcome While Trying to Save Wife.

Neighbors Hear Cries and Rescue Pair from Gas-filled Room.

When he attempted to carry his unconcious wife from a coal gas-filled bedroom in their home at 5332 North Howard street last night, John Slavin, 50 years old, was overcome by the fumes.

As he sank to the floor with his burden he called for help. Neighbors answered the call and carried the woman, Mrs. Rebecca Slavin, 48 years old, and the dazed man from the house. The victims were revived at the Jewish Hospital. Slavin had just returned home about 11 p.m. when he discovered the bedroom filled with fumes, apparently from the heater.

Philadelphia (Pennsylvania) Inquirer, February 2, 1922.