MIGUEL ANTON (54), a Portuguese sailor, was indicted for feloniously stabbing William Slavin, in the township of North Shields, on the 2nd September. Mr DAVISON, who appeared for the prosecution, stated the case. On the day in question, the prisoner, in Company with a female, entered the Steam Boat Inn, in North Shields, and invited her to sit down; but it being contrary to the regulations of the house for females of the class to which the companion of the prisoner belonged to sit there, the landlady ref used permission for her to do so, at which Anton became very much incensed. He then took out a clasp knife and commenced cutting tobacco. After using it, he placed it in the breast of his shirt. At this time two negro sailors entered the room in which the prisoner was, and he made use of some insulting expressions to them and to the people in the house. He then took a knife from a sheath suspended from a belt around his waist, and put it into one of his boots. Some further parley took place between the prisoner and the negroes, which terminated in a general fight, during which, the prisoner drew his knife from his boot, ran at Slavin, who was standing in the room, taking no part in the fray, and, seizing him by the hair, pulled his head under his (prisoner's) arm, and drew the blade across the back of the neck, inflicting a wound about a quarter of an inch deep, and several inches in length. Medical assistance being procured, it was ascertained that it was not of a dangerous character; but sufficient to incapacitate him from pursuing his usual avocation for four weeks. The prisoner, on being called on for his defence, gave a paper to his interpreter, by which it appeared that he acknowledged himself guilty of the offense, having committed it when in a state of excitement, produced by being insulted in the public house. After a short consultation, the jury returned a verdict of guilty of unlawfully wounding, and the prisoner was sentenced to nine months' imprisonment, with hard labour.

Newcastle Courant (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England), December 5, 1856.