Old Gotham Officer Dead.

New York, Feb. 23-- Police Captain Edward T. Slevin died suddenly yesterday. He ate a hearty dinner Thursday evening, and retired at 9 o'clock. At midnight he complained of violent pains in the stomach, which continued until his death. Captain Slevin was 51 years old and had been a member of the police department for 28 years.

Fitchburg (Massachusetts) Daily Sentinel, Feb. 23, 1895.

Some of the Noted Cases With Which He Was Connected.

NEW YORK. Feb 22-- Police Capt Edward Slevin died this morning at his home, 121 West 11th st. He had not been in good health for some time, and recently he got leave of absence for 20 days, which he had decided to spend at the Hot Springs, Ark.

Capt. Slevin was born in this city on June 15, 1811, of Irish parentage.

It was some time after Slevin had established a reputation as a detective that the Manhattan savings institution, at Broadway and Bleecker st., was robbed early on the morning of Sunday, Oct 21, 1878. The amount in securities and cash stolen by the robbers was nearly $6,000.00. As the robbery was committed in the 15th precinct, Slevin was selected to help Capt. Byrnes, and it was largely due to Slevin's clever work that Jimmie Hope and his six confederates were captured.

Another sample of Slevin's clever detective work was his capture on Sept. 1, 1883, in this city, of Steve Raymond, the English forger. Slevin proved his case against him, and Raymond was sentenced by Recorder Smythe on Oct 22, 1883, to state prison for life.

Slevin was made a roundsman and sergeant on the same day, Jan. 11 1883, and a captain on June 14, 1887.

Boston (Massachusetts) Daily Globe, February 23, 1895.


Apparently in Vigorous Health, He Expires of Intestinal Trouble.
Physicians Were to Have Performed an Operation, but He Sank Too Rapidly for It.
Manhattan Bank Burglars and Steve Raymand, the Forger, Were Among His Famous "Catches."

After an illness of but a few hours' duration Capt. Edward Slevin, commander of the Oak Street Police Station, died yesterday at his home. No. 121 West Eleventh street. When he retired Thursday night he was apparently in good health. An hour before he frolicked in the dining-room with his two children.

Before going to his room Capt. Slevin left instructions to be called at 1 A.M., as he said he desired to be at the station when the men were turned out. About midnight Mrs. Slevin was aroused by her husband groaning. He had arisen and was walking about holding his hands to his abdomen. He complained of pains, and these increased to such intensity that he threw himself on the floor and groaned.

Some household remedies were applied, while the servant hastened to call Police Surgeon Cook, whose residence is in the rear of the Slevin house, on Twelfth street. When he reached the house, at 8 A.M., the Captain had returned to bed, where he lay groaning and writhing. A superficial examination sufficed to tell the doctor that Slevin's condition was serious. He administered a quieting dose and sent messengers to summon Dr. W.T. Bull and Police Surgeon Charles Phelps, who arrived about 10 A.M. In the mean time Dr. Cook remained at the Captain's bedside.

Pendlng the arrival of the other physcians, Capt. Slevln's condition grew rapidly worse. He became very weak and frequently his massive frame was convulsed with pain.

A consultation was held at the bedside. It was agreed that the Captain was suffering either from a strangulated or perforated intestine. Nothing but an operation could, in this event, save the Captain's life, and it was agreed to try laparotomy. But the patient sank so rapidly that when the instruments were brought the physicians decided the captain was too weak, and the operation was postponed until a favorable change should occur.

Mrs. Slevin, the servant and the two children were alone in the house about noon, when Capt. Slevin, who had been resting quietly for a few hours, again began to complain. Rev. Father McManus, of St. Joseph's Church was summoned, and he admlnistered the last rites of the Church. An hour later Mrs. Slevin sent hurriedly for Dr. J.K. Latham, whose office is opposite. When he reached the houae shortly after, he found Mrs. Slevin and the two children at the bedside weeping. Capt. Slevin was dead.

A woman friend who called soon after found Mrs. Slevin half senseless on the floor beside the bed on which the Captain had died. Later in the day Dr. Latham was called to attend Mrs. Slevin, who lay prostrated. She has been a sufferer for years from heart troubles.

Only Wednesday her mother, Mrs. Elisabeth Leary, was buried from the house. Captain Slevin purchased the house a year ago, and had there been living there but a little over five months. The funeral will take place Sunday at 1 P.M. and the pallbearers will, it is expected, be police captains. A meeting of officials will take place at Police Headquarters to decide on the funeral arrangements. Captain Slevin was Vice-President of the Epicureans, which will attend.

Dr. Cook says there is no doubt but that Capt. Slevin died of a ruptured intestine superindused by a sudden strain, or, perhaps, caused by an ulceration. The Captain may have caught cold, he says, when he attended Mrs. Leary's funeral at St. Joseph's Church Wednesday.

Capt. Slevln was born in 1844, and was a cart man when he received his appointment to the force, Nov. 28, 1866. Four years later he was promoted roundsman. In 1873 he was made a ward detective under Captain, now Supt. Byrnes, in the Fifteenth Precinct, and it was as a detective that the captain displayed his ability. He did such clever work that when Capt. Byrnes was put in charge of the Detective Bureau he secured Slevin's transfer,and he was one of the forty detective sergeants supported.

Slevin became Byrnes's right-hand man. It was not until the Manhattan bank robbery, however, that Slevin showed his superior ability as a detective. With Byrnes, he did most of the detective work in that famous case, and after constant and unremitting efforts the cracksmen were captured. Slevin also made a brillant arrest when he captured the forger Steve Raymond, alias Marshall.

On June 11, 1882, Slevin was made a sergent, and five years later a captain. He served in the Delancey and Church Street Stations, as well as the Oak Street Station. He was a target for Dr. Parkhurst for several months, and charges were finally made by Parkhurst agents, who claimed that he permitted dives to exist in his precinct. He was tried on those charges and, although the Parkhurst people made numerous raids in the precinct and secured numerous convictions, no decision in his case was rendered by the Commisioners.

New York (New York) World, February 23, 1895