Patrick S. Slevin lawyer, was born on April 15th, 1815, in county Donegal, Ireland, his parents belonging to the upper middle class and being comfortably circumstanced in life. While he was quite young he was brought by them to America. They settled in Adams county, Pennsylvania, and there he received his education. Later he removed with his parents to Perry county, Ohio, and there he read law with Hon. John B. Orton. In November, 1840, he was admitted to the bar, and very soon afterwards he began to practise law in the city of Dayton. In November, 1852, he removed to Defiance, Defiance county, Ohio, where he again entered upon the practice of his profession, and where he continued in successful practice for several years. In the fall of 1860 he removed from Defiance to Perrysville, Wood county, Ohio, and there entered into a partnership with Hon. James Murray, Attorney-General of the State, which continued until August 8th, 1862. At that time he entered the army as Lieutenant-Colonel of the 100th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry. For about a year thereafter he was engaged with his regiment in campaigning throughout the State of Kentucky. Then, attached to the 23d Army Corps, he went into Tennessee, and eventually joined General Sherman in his march upon Atlanta, Georgia. Long before this he had been promoted to the rank of Colonel, through the resignation of the original colonel of the regiment. He remained actively engaged in the Atlanta campaign until the 6th of August, 1864, when, in a charge on the enemy's works near Atlanta, he was very dangerously wounded, and disabled for life. In this same charge he lost over one-third of his command in killed and wounded; and for his own meritorious conduct in the affair he was brevetted a Brigadier-General. This engagement, however, terminated his military service, for, in consequence of his wound, he was obliged to resign and leave the army. While with his regiment he was engaged in the following battles: Lenoir Station, Knoxville, Rocky Face Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, Etowah Creek, Atlanta and many others of less importance. Returning to Ohio after leaving the army, he resumed the practice of his profession. In April, 1867, he was appointed Collector of Customs for the District of Miami, port of Toledo. In 1871 he was reappointed to the same position, which he held until November, 1874. In December of that year he was appointed General Secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association of Toledo, the duties of which position he continued to fulfil for a year, at the end of which time he became a city missionary in Toledo, and the work of that calling he still continues to perform. For twenty-three years past he has been a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The Biographical Encyclopedia of Ohio of the Nineteenth Century
Galaxy Publishing Co.,Columbus, Ohio, 1876.