Dick McGrane and Lawrence Slevin.

Dick McGrane, left, and Lawrence Slevin, right.

Thanks to Catherine Payne for the following comments on the photo, and the background information on her grandfather Lawrence Slevin:

"I believe that this photo was taken shortly after Dick McGrane on the left and Lawrence Slevin on the right were released from Tullamore in or around 1884-5. When they were transported to and from the courthouse, they were securely chained and handcuffed in such a way that they could not communicate with one another. They were released on bail after approximately 15 months on the orders of the government, and the charges were subsequently dropped. Dick McGrane looks as though he had suffered a great ordeal - by contrast Lawrence appears none the worse for it!!!"

Lawrence Slevin born in 1858 in Cloghan, the eldest child of John Slevin, a bootmaker, and Catherine Malady. Lawrence was under arrested when his father John died in March 1879; because he refused to sign a paper to go to America the authorities refused to allow him to attend his father's funeral.

"As well as his arrest in 1881, he, together with 12 other members of the Land League, was put on trial for the 1882 murder of sub-constable Brown. They were held without bail at Tullamore from 1883-4. For the duration of the trial, they were chained and handcuffed together during their court appearances. The government of the day belatedly granted bail, and the charges were dropped."

"This all happened after the 'Phoenix Park Murders,' when prominent members of the Land League, including Charles Stewart Parnell, MP., were arrested by the government of the day, held in prison, some without charge, others with numerous 'crimes' including murder and conspiracy. They were later released."

"Lawrence married Julia Connolly and they had four sons: John 1886; Joseph 1888; Lawrence Jr 1891; and Patrick Joseph 1893. Julia died in childbirth circa 1894/5."

"In the 1901 Census of Ireland, Lawrence was residing with his mother Catherine Malady (Slevin) in Cloghan, together with his four sons. By the 1911 Census of Ireland, he was married to Catherine Boland with their daughters Mary (b. 1909) and twins Catherine and Esther (b. 1910). Their youngest daughter, Annie (Nancy) was born Feb. 21, 1916."

"Lawrence was still answering Ireland's call during the Easter Rising of 1916, when he was shot in the leg crossing the bridge over the Liffey. He was crossing from Church St., on the north side, to the south side. It is notable that the Law Courts, etc. were all situated on the northside of the River."

"By 1921-22 they were living in Upper Church Street, and my mother recounted, how they were all lined up outside the house and shop, by the Black and Tans, whilst they searched the premises. Their door had been 'chalked' by an informer. Luckily, the Black and Tans did not search the inside of the boots and shoes on the counter in the window of the shop, or they would have found bullets and gun parts tucked inside, in view of all."

"All but two of Lawrence's siblings went to New York in the 1890's. His brother Thomas, also a bootmaker, was one of them who stayed in Ireland... His descendants still live in Cloghan.